Walled kitchen gardens in Cherwell

Broughton Castle

Context
Broughton Castle and its grounds stretch along the west side of the village of Broughton, a north Oxfordshire village which is four kilometres south west of the centre of Banbury. The castle is believed to have been begun by Sir John of Broughton in the early 14th century. William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester and founder of New College, Oxford, bought the manor in 1377. The house was gradually enlarged and fortified during the 15th and 16th centuries, and, following the nearby Battle of Edgehill in 1642, was laid siege by the Royalists who captured and occupied it.

Description
The square kitchen garden is situated 155 metres north east of the house and is surrounded by walls, and a lodge now known as Warren Lodge. This is a gabled, ironstone building dating from 1877, built in Tudor style which originally served as the gardener's cottage but which is now converted to offices. There is one building, a shed or bothy on the west edge of the garden. The walled garden is still cultivated as a productive walled garden but the original glasshouses have gone.

Designation status
Broughton Castle is included in the Historic England Register of Historic Parks and Gardens at Grade II*. Further information is available in the National Heritage List for England.

Degree of completeness
Fair

Access
A private house and garden but open for the National Garden Scheme and at various days through the year.