Walled kitchen gardens in Cherwell

Swalcliffe Park

Context
Swalcliffe Park is now a school, in the village of Swalcliffe, eight kilometres west of Banbury. The house is 18th and 19th century, incorporating bits of an earlier 17th century building.

Description
The 1st ed. OS map of 1881 shows a square productive walled garden, with a perimeter wall, one path on the north/south axis and a tank. Historically, there was a glasshouse at the north west corner of the garden and one in the centre of the north wall but away from the perimeter; one inside the south wall and one on the outside of the south wall. There were various buildings surrounding the site, particularly a group to the north west, which may be a walled frameyard.

Extant, the garden has been replaced with school buildings and the former frameyard is now a tennis court.

Access
Swalcliffe Park is now a school.