Walled kitchen gardens in Cherwell

Yarnton Manor

Context
Yarnton Manor is located on Church Lane in the village of Yarnton.

Description
The origins of Yarnton Manor go back to Norman times. From 1580 to 1712 it belonged to the Spencer family. Sir Thomas Spencer transformed it into one of the largest Jacobean houses in the country, rebuilding it around 1611 to fill three sides of a courtyard, with wings projecting from the ends of today's house towards the adjoining church of St Bartholomew.

The productive kitchen garden is located on the west side of the property and is bounded by a hedge on the east side and walls to the north, west and south.

A boiler house is located in the west wall, currently used as a potting shed. Two old vines are planted on the west wall, one still within a 20th century glasshouse.

Designation status
Yarnton Manor is included in the Historic England Register of Historic Parks and Gardens at Grade II. Further information is available in the National Heritage List for England.

Degree of completeness
Fair

Access
None