Walled kitchen gardens in Oxford

Christ Church College Canon's Garden

Context
Christ Church College was founded in 1546 but there had been a college on the site since 1525. It was the 13th of the present Oxford colleges to be founded. The garden is to the east of Christ Church Cathedral. As Christ Church is a cathedral as well as a college, its Tom Quad is effectively a cathedral close and the gardens behind the residences are private.

Description
There is map evidence for the Canon's Garden at Christ Church College in the 1st ed. OS (1878) map, which shows it to be a T-shaped walled garden. The west part has an informal layout with paths and planted borders, while the east part has a formal layout with a straight perimeter and central paths and some trees lining the paths. There is a glasshouse in the north of the garden at this time and a fountain in the informal part. In the west part, there is a coal house. The Oxford city wall forms the north wall of the garden.

The current Landline OS shows that the walls are extant and the garden is an ornamental garden.

Source of information