Walled kitchen gardens in South Oxfordshire

Adwell House

Context
Adwell is a village in South Oxfordshire, some three miles south of Thame. The manor house, Adwell House, is early 18th century with 19th century additions.

Description
The 1st ed. OS map of 1881 shows a rectangular garden with a path around the inside and across the centre. There wasn’t much change between the 1st and 2nd OS maps but by the third one in 1921 the garden had been extended on the north side, with the possible edition of a building. At that time there was the central glasshouse remaining and one external to the garden to the westerly end of the south wall.

Currently there is a glasshouse adjacent to the central path on the south west side and two glasshouses outside the walled garden below the south wall. The current use of the house and garden is residential.

Access
Adwell Estate is open for various activities from fishing to weddings.