Walled kitchen gardens in South Oxfordshire

Britwell Priory

Context
Britwell Priory is north east of the village of Britwell Salome, seven kilometres north east of Wallingford. The priory is a farmhouse with a datestone of 1826. The farm and its barns are currently the home of the Priory Vintage Car Company.

Description

The 1st ed. OS map, surveyed in 1876 and published in 1880, shows a rectangular productive walled garden. The historic path layout shows a perimeter path inside the wall, divided into eight parts, some trees and one small semi-circular building on the outside centre of the north wall. The 1876 survey shows the garden as adjacent to the Priory buildings with an avenue or walk to the north from the north eastern corner of the garden.

What remains is a semi-circular building on the outside of the north wall and the garden is now part of the Priory Vintage Car Company's grounds, mostly laid to grass with two shrub borders running north/south along the length of the garden.