Walled kitchen gardens in South Oxfordshire

Chiselhampton House

Context
Chiselhampton House, formerly known as Chiselhampton Lodge, is in Chiselhampton, a village on the River Thame, about 10 kilometres south east of Oxford.

The original 16th century mansion was deemed in the 1740s as 'a very old inconvenient building, part brick, part stone' with only the dovecote and the walls of the kitchen garden seen as fit to retain. While the owners at that time lacked the funds to rebuild the house, 1766 saw it taken on by Charles Peers who had Peers' Chistleton or Chiselhampton House, a brick Georgian country house, built on the site by Samuel Dowbiggin in 1768.

Description
The Chiselhampton House walled garden is 16th to 17th century with alterations in the 17th and 18th century. Part of the east wall is missing and the walls were probably incorporated in parts of the earlier house that existed pre-1768. The 1st ed. OS map of 1881 shows a tapered rectangular walled kitchen garden with double cruciform and perimeter paths lined by trees. At this time, there is a glasshouse and a pump in the north east corner of the garden and a shed to the west of the garden. Narrow slip gardens lie to the east, north and west of the garden, and a larger garden to the south. There is a pump house and tank to the north of the garden at this time.

Extant remains include the walls and possibly some remnants of a glasshouse and shed. The garden is used as a horse paddock, has some vegetables and is partly grassed.

Sources of information