Walled kitchen gardens in South Oxfordshire

Sue Ryder Hospice, Nettlebed

Context
The Sue Ryder Hospice in the village of Nettlebed is a country house built in 1908 by C E Mallows for Robert Fleming. The property was formerly known as Joyce Grove. Nettlebed lies seven kilometres north west of Henley. There are references to Joyce Grove from 1637 when it was sold to James Thompson of Wallingford. By 1840, Joyce Grove was registered as a freehold estate of 33 acres belonging to John Toovey. then in 1894, London businessman H H Gardiner purchased the Joyce Grove estate which at that time included a William and Mary style manor house dating from 1725.

In 1903, Robert Fleming purchased the Nettlebed Estate, which include 2,000 acres, cottages, clayworks and the Joyce Grove estate with its manor house and land. Shortly after purchasing Joyce Grove, Robert Fleming tore down the older manor house and in its place built the current large Jacobean style house with 44 bedrooms and gardens.

Description
The 1st ed. OS map of 1879 shows a rectangular productive walled kitchen garden with a perimeter path and inner paths, with trees lining the paths and to the north. This garden lies 35 metres to the south west of the house. The 1898 map shows glasshouses facing south on the south wall. The walls remain and the garden is still productive.

Access
The Sue Ryder Hospice.

Sources of information