Walled kitchen gardens in the Vale of White Horse

Bourton House

Context
Bourton House is now Pinewood School, a co-educational prep and pre-prep school lying on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire border.

Description
The 1st ed. OS map of 1878 shows the walled garden is an irregular rectangular shape some 60 metres to the north of the house. This map indicates a building inside the north wall and a row of buildings outside the north wall. The inner building may be a glasshouse but the quality of the printing may have blurred the indicating lines. A pump is marked in the north east corner of the garden. Five further buildings are indicated in an area north of the garden.

The 2nd ed. OS map of 1899 shows the building inside the wall as clearly indicated as a glasshouse. The 3rd ed. OS map of 1923 indicates further glasshouses inside the north wall to the east end. In the area to the north of the garden, a water tower is shown.

Currently, there are no glasshouses. The 2010 Landline map shows that the garden is referred to as Speedwell Cottage and Pinewood Cottage Gardens, however it is unclear to which buildings they are associated.