Walled kitchen gardens in the Vale of White Horse

Buckland House

Context
Buckland House was built for Sir Robert Throckmorton in 1757 and designed by John Wood, the Younger. It is an example of Palladian architecture, described by Nikolaus Pevsner as: 'The most splendid Georgian house in the Country.' The house stands within its own park, Buckland Park. Buckland is four miles north east of Faringdon.

Description
The garden is in the shape of a rectangle with a scalene triangle at the south. Extant structures include the north, east and south walls and buildings in the area north of the garden, where there is a productive garden. The remainder is residential. Within the historic context of the 1st ed. OS map of 1876, the walled kitchen garden was adjacent to the original manor, now stables and north of St Mary's Church. Inside the garden, there was a glasshouse against the north wall to the west side and glasshouses away from the perimeter in the north east part of the garden. A further area north of the garden (possibly walled) held a pump and seven glasshouses and three buildings. Currently, the garden area is grassed with the outline of original cruciform paths visible from satellite Google maps.

Designation status
Buckland House is included in the Historic England Register of Historic Parks and Gardens at Grade II*.  Further information is available in the National Heritage List for England.

Degree of completeness
Fair

Sources of information