Walled kitchen gardens in the Vale of White Horse

Hinton Manor

Context
Hinton Manor is situated in a rural location, in the village of Hinton Waldrist, about 10 kilometres west of Abingdon. The Norman Hinton Castle was a royal residence during the 14th and early 15th century, falling into disrepair during the late 15th century, when it was unoccupied.The gardens at Hinton Manor had their origins in the 17th century and are set within parkland dating from the late 18th and early 19th century.

Description
It is probable that Dr George Owen, Royal Physician to Henry VIII, Edward VI and Queen Mary, began the construction of the present house before his death in 1558. The formal gardens and pleasure grounds were perhaps constructed during the mid 17th century, incorporating the former castle earthworks and including the motte as a viewing mount, the whole encircled by the former moat.

The gardens surround the house and are partly enclosed by the former moat of the Norman castle, incorporating remaining medieval features. The formal gardens were probably constructed in the mid 17th century. The garden is 50 metres north east of the house, set in a curve bounded by the 18th century brick and stone wall standing above Church Road to the east. The shape of the garden is irregular with perimeter and central paths and some trees lining the paths. The historical records reveal a glasshouse in the west of the garden and on the outside of the west wall.

Designation status
The gardens at Hinton Manor are included in the Historic England register of Historic Parks and Gardens at Grade II.  Further information is available in the National Heritage List for England.

Sources of information