Walled kitchen gardens in the Vale of White Horse

Kingston Bagpuize House

Context
Kingston Bagpuize House was built in the 1660s and remodelled in 1720. The village of Kingston Bagpuize is 10 kilometres west of Abingdon.

Description
The 1st ed. OS, 1876, map shows the walled garden as an irregular polygon with the road and garden meeting on the south east corner and creating a fifth side. Historically, there were perimeter and cruciform paths; a glasshouse on the north west wall and two glasshouses in the north west part of the garden. Now, the walls remain plus a glasshouse in the west part of the garden and foundations of glasshouses along the north west wall. The glasshouses along the east part of the wall are extant, as are the buildings outside the north wall. The garden is productive.

Designation status
The kitchen garden walls are included in the Historic England Register of Historic Parks and Gardens at Grade II. Further information is available in the National Heritage List for England.

Access
Kingston Bagpuize House.  Open occasionally for NGS and other garden events.

Sources of information