Walled kitchen gardens in the Vale of White Horse

The Grove, Faringdon

Context
The Grove, Faringdon is a modern residential area which was formerly the site of a walled garden.

Description
The earliest reference to a walled garden on this site is on the 1st ed. OS map of 1876 which shows a rectangular productive walled garden, with perimeter and cruciform paths and the trees following the paths. The garden was in two parts with a gateway to the house through the north wall and the east side of the garden edging Coach Lane. The original garden was 47 metres from the house, with a formal ornamental garden between the house and the garden. There was also an orchard adjacent to the west side of the garden, plus a building and small greenhouse in the north west corner of the garden.

The current Landline map shows Coombs Close, a modern residential development on the site of the garden.

Sources of information