The manor house at Wytham village was known as Wytham Abbey from about 1850. The house was purchased by the Harcourt family in 1459 and passed to the Norreys family in the late 16th century. It was remodelled and partly rebuilt for the 5th Earl of Abingdon in 1809-10. The 7th Earl sold the house to Raymond ffennell in 1920. The University of Oxford acquired Wytham Woods in 1943, as well as agricultural land, the village and the Abbey. The latter is now divided into apartments.
Walled Kitchen Garden
The 1st edn OS map (1876) shows a productive walled garden in the shape of a polygon, occupying 1⅓ acres, with cruciform and perimeter paths and some trees. Also shown is a glasshouse in the north east corner with a building on the outside of the wall, possible slip gardens to the north-east and west, and an orchard to the north of the garden
Productive. There is an orchard of heritage and old varieties of apples in the walled garden. Part of the north slip is used as a private garden and community orchard.
None for the walled gardens.
Degree of completeness
The walls are in reasonable condition but some of the glasshouses and other features do not survive.
Ownership and access
University of Oxford. There is no public access.
Sources of information
Hibbert, C (ed) 1988: The Encyclopedia of Oxford, p 508. London, Macmillan
Name of district
Vale of White Horse
SU 47424 08631