Walled kitchen gardens in West Oxfordshire

Bradwell Grove

Context
Bradwell Grove is the house at the centre of the Cotswold Wildlife Park and lies just outside Burford, a town 29 kilometres west of Oxford. The house dates from 1804-10, designed by William Atkinson for William Hervey, and built by Richard Pace of Lechlade. The north service wing incorporates part of the 18th century wing of the former Jacobean house, with further alterations and extensions from the 19th and 20th century.

Description
The reference to Bradwell Grove in the 1st ed. OS (1880)  shows a rectangular productive walled garden with a yard and glasshouse to the east. The glasshouse is positioned centrally against the north wall of the garden. There is a slip to the north and south of the garden; two buildings against the outside wall at the south west corner and three further glasshouses in a separate area to the north east of the garden.

The 1st ed. OS map of 1880 also shows an elevation at the bottom of the south slip. The 2nd ed. OS map of 1899 indicates the addition of a building centrally placed on the outside of the wall, in the same position as the glasshouse on the inner wall. The orientation of the two glasshouses in the north east area outside the garden, has now changed from west/east to north/south. There is a possible third tiangular enclosure to the south of the yard and east of the walled garden but there are no significant buildings or horticultural evidence on any map.

The current use of the walled garden is as an animal enclosure for the Cotswold Wildlife Park.

Access
For information about opening times, refer to: The Cotswold Wildlife Park

Sources of information