Walled kitchen gardens in West Oxfordshire

Buscot Old Parsonage

Context
The Old Parsonage in Buscot was built in 1701. Buscot is a village about two and a half kilometres south east of Lechlade. It has moved from Berkshire to Oxfordshire with boundary changes and historically shows up on maps for Gloucestershire and Wiltshire as well. The Old Parsonage was sold by the Church Commissioners to Peter Stucley, an American author, who in turn left it in his will to The National Trust in 1964. The house is tenanted.

Description
The 1st ed OS (1876) reference to the Old Parsonage in Buscot shows a rectangular productive walled garden with perimeter and cruciform paths, divided into seven parts, trees and buildings.

From the 1876 survey, the house runs along the east side of the garden and the River Thames runs outside the north wall. There is a building at the centre of the west wall and various buildings to the north of the house outside the garden. At this time, the house is marked as The Rectory and not referred to as The Old Parsonage until the first post war map.

The garden is now part of a residence and includes a five part ornamental garden with buildings to the north east of the house extant, possibly now converted to residential properties.

There appears to be have been little change in the garden from the 1st ed. OS in 1876 to the third in 1923. There is no evidence of any glasshouses; there was a large field to the south of the garden but no evidence that this was an orchard. There is a question mark over whether this was a productive walled garden as part of The Rectory but little evidence remains.

Access
Buscot Old Parsonage is a tenanted National Trust property.