Walled kitchen gardens in West Oxfordshire

Chastleton Glebe

Context
Chastleton Glebe lies in the village of Chastleton, some seven kilometres north west of Chipping Norton and close to Moreton-In-Marsh.

Description
The 1st ed. OS map published in 1885 shows the walled garden to be an irregular rectangle. The house was known as The Rectory, with kennels and a pump to the east of the house. At that time, there was possibly a smaller walled area within the walled area to the north of the house, with a glasshouse and a small glasshouse to the north west side of the garden.

The current Landline Map shows the main north and south wall of the walled area to the north of the house is extant while the buildings to the east and glasshouses are demolished. Although the garden is now both productive and ornamental, little remains of the previous design. There is a possible terrace running along the south side of the house, a small formal garden to the west and a large parterre to the north of the house.

Access
Chastleton Glebe is occasionally open through the National Gardens Scheme.