Walled kitchen gardens in West Oxfordshire

Cogges Manor House

Context
Cogges is scheduled as an ancient monument because it contains the remains of a medieval moated manor, a priory, a settlement and associated features, making it one of the best examples of a manorial settlement from Saxon, Medievel and post-Medieval periods. The original Manor House on the site was a Cotswold stone building dating from the middle of the 13th century. Later additions came as the house went through various owners, including the church, during which period the house was named Archbishop's Court. It was tenanted as a working farm until 1919, when the Mawle family, the tenants at the time, bought the freehold. In 1974, Oxfordshire County Council bought Cogges Manor Farm and turned it into a museum. It is now leased for a 'peppercorn' rent by a charitable trust and run as an educational and recreational heritage site.

Description
The productive walled garden at Cogges appears on the 1st ed. OS map of 1876 which shows a rectangular garden with perimeter and cruciform paths, partially attached to the Manor, with a small building outside the outer wall. The walled garden is still productive and now has a modern glasshouse to the west.

Access
Cogges Manor Farm is open to the public during the summer months.

Sources of information