Walled kitchen gardens in West Oxfordshire

Eynsham Hall

Context
Eynsham Hall is located south of the village of North Leigh and about four kilometres north east of Witney. The garden is north east of Eynsham Hall itself. The first Eynsham Hall was built by James Lacy or his son Willoughby and altered considerably all the way through to 1903 when the house was demolished and a new, larger house was completed by 1908. Most recently the house has been a training centre, police college and is now a hotel.

Description
Eynsham Hall is a country house surrounded by an 18th century park and mid 19th - 20th century pleasure grounds. Robert Marnock was involved in the planting of exotics in the 1860s; Owen Jones (1870s) and then Ernest George (1900s) were responsible for the terraced gardens around the house.

The 1876 1st ed. OS shows the garden as square, with north east and north west corners cut off and the south east corner rounded. The 1876 map shows the garden with cruciform and perimeter paths with trees lining the paths. There is a possible central dipping pond and glasshouses along the north and north east wall, with attached bothies to the outside of the wall. There is a frame yard to the east of the garden with several glasshouses. There are further functional gardens to the east and slip gardens to the south and the west of the walled garden. A shelterbelt surrounds the whole ensemble.

Extant, parts of the wall to the north side and south east corner remain. There are possibly some bothies to the outside of the north walls. The garden is now mainly given over to the hotel's buildings and grass.

Designation status
Eynsham Hall is included in the Historic England Register of Historic Parks and Gardens at Grade II. Further information is available in the National Heritage List for England.

Access
Eynsham Hall is a hotel, conference and wedding venue.

Sources of information