Walled kitchen gardens in West Oxfordshire

Filkins Hall

Context
Filkins Hall lies in the hamlet of Filkins, some two and a half kilometres south west of Carterton. The house was partly rebuilt in 1912 and has now been converted into flats.

Description
The 1st ed. OS map surveyed in 1880 and published in 1881 shows that the walled garden is in three parts, each roughly rectangular with buildings/stable yard. There are perimeter paths in each; a glasshouse in the north east part and trees lining the path in the south east part.

Some walls remain but it is difficult to ascertain if they are extant or rebuilt and a possible building in the stable yard area.

Access
Filkins Hall is occasionally open through the National Garden Scheme.