Walled kitchen gardens in West Oxfordshire

Kiddington Hall

Context
Kiddington Park lies about seven kilometres north west of Woodstock, at the west edge of Kiddington village, situated on hilly ground bisected by the valley of the River Glyme. Sir Charles Browne's great grandfather bought the property in or around 1613 and the house was subsequently rebuilt in 1673, apparently on the old foundations. Sir Charles Browne employed the 23 year old Lancelot (Capability) Brown (1716-83) briefly around 1740, following Brown's move south from Northumberland in 1739. Brown created the lake and landscaped the park, either at that time, or, more likely, on his return in the 1760s as consultant landscape gardener.

Description
The kitchen garden lies 100 metres north of the hall, with a church positioned in between, on a west facing hillside. It is accessed via a doorway in the centre of the south wall. The garden is an irregular polygon and still cultivated, surrounded by stone walls, with the remains of brackets which formerly supported glass panels above the fruit trees trained against the walls.

The 1st ed. OS map of 1880 shows the perimeter paths, with multiple paths crossing west to east; trees lining the paths; a glasshouse in the north east corner of the garden on an angle and a small shed/bothy backing this glasshouse on the outside of the wall.

Currently, two central paths bisect the garden in a cruciform pattern, with, at the centre, a small, stone-lined circular pond. In the north corner stand the derelict remains of a glasshouse and its beds. The gardener's cottage stands outside the garden, close to the south east corner. The garden is still productive with the addition of fruit trees and has changed remarkably little over the years.

Designation status
Kiddington Hall is included in the Historic England Register of Historic Parks and Gardens at Grade II.  Further information is available in the National Heritage List for England.

Degree of completeness
Good

Sources of information