Walled kitchen gardens in West Oxfordshire

Sandford Park

Context
Sandford Park lies along the west side of the village of Sandford St Martin, 10 kilometres north of Woodstock, spread across low hills. The early 18th century house was possibly built by Gerard Croker, and a mid-18th century park was added to the west, its north boundary running approximately along the line of the current series of lakes.

Description
The tapered rectangular walled garden stands 30 metres south of the house, adjacent to the south lawn, enclosed by 18th century brick and stone walls. The 1st ed. OS of 1881 shows a perimeter path with a wide (double) north/south path; trees along the border edges; a glasshouse in the south end of the garden with a bothy attached at the north.

The garden contains a central north/south path, and is largely laid to lawn with several fruit trees and a small glasshouse in the north east corner. The south wall was probably constructed in the early 20th century as it does not appear on OS mapping before 1900. Adjacent at the south west corner, stands a group of small bothies and west of these is an open kitchen garden area with a tennis court to the west.

Designation status
Sanford Park is included in the Historic England Register of Historic Parks and Gardens at Grade [II]. Further information is available in the National Heritage List for England.

Degree of completeness
Fair

Sources of information